Friday, February 5, 2010

Mission Family Nutrition - Week One

Mission: Family Nutrition
 
Melinda at Coming Clean is challenging women to track down healthier eating habits for their families over the next six weeks.  So, here we go...
 
After Ally was born, I did a lot of reading on good nutrition.  We drastically lowered, to basically zero, our refined sugar intake substituting with honey and fructose.  We lowered fat intake. I baked homemade whole wheat bread.  Even ground my own flour (which stopped when my grinder vibrated off the shelf and fell down the basement stairs to land in a multitude of pieces...ouch!).  And we stayed away from commercially processed foods as much as possible (we made homemade Mac 'n Cheese and made our own pizza).  But then something happened.  Somewhere along the line something changed and we got away from many of our healthy eating habits.  So, this challenge is the perfect time to get back on track.  

Here's the problem I need to fix first:
Yesterday afternoon I looked at the clock as we were all busy doing stuff in the living room; and to my dismay, it was 5:00.  What do I make for supper when I don't have much time?!  Box mix Mac 'n Cheese, breaded chicken tenders from the freezer, frozen peas and carrots, and instant Chocolate pudding.  I didn't think ahead and so we ate whatever was handy.  That's pretty typical at our house lately (and a lot of store bought pizza which isn't easy on the wallet either).  Now it's time for that to change.

My first goal for Mission Nutrition is to make and follow a menu...weekly... let's say Monday afternoons so I can do my shopping after Ladies Bible Study on Tuesday.  And I'll work in some fresh fruits and vegetables daily as well.

Look out Bad Habits... this is war!

6 comments:

  1. Being a busy mama of little ones can make it difficult to eat healthy! I, too, have found that a menu plan helps...but I still feel that I could do much better nutritionally for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great goal! I don't do that every week (sometimes life happens!) but when I do it makes a BIG difference in the quality of our eating and my grocery bill!

    So glad you're doing this challenge with me! I think we're all going to learn alot from each other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your goal! Thank you for stopping by with the advice--I'll have to do some grocery shopping tomorrow so I'll pick some of those things up. And about the cookies--I confess that I have a weakness... I love to bake and I love to eat what I bake!
    What kind of grinder did you use to make your flour?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! Good thing I didn't read your blog post until AFTER I did my goal because I would have stolen yours! :] Maybe that'll be my goal next week. Can't wait to hear how it goes so that I can get some pointers for doing the same. :)
    Shell

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been there at 5:00. Sometimes I just accept that supper is going to be late. I cut up some fruit or veggies for anyone who is starving and can't wait for supper, and then I get started on the item on the menu. Sometimes I switch the menu item with something that is easier but was supposed to be made on a different day. But you're right that time of day sneaks up on a person and gets a bit frantic sometimes. Good luck with your goal this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great goal! Menu planning has a lways been a challenge for me. It's hard to come up with something everyone likes!

    ReplyDelete