Friday, February 13, 2009

Book Review: The Jesus Storybook Bible

I have been searching for the"perfect" Bible storybook for my kids. My requirements are that it is Biblically accurate, pleasing pictures, and will keep the short attention span of my almost two year old.

The concept of THE JESUS STORYBOOK BIBLE is a good one. Pointing the child to Christ in every story throughout the Bible. However, I had a few problems with this book. I am of the opinion that children's books should be written for children, not down to children. Throughout this book I find the author writing down to children. For example, in the story of Creation instead of saying "God said 'let there be light'" the author writes "God said 'Hello light'" etc. Some of the stories, such as Noah's ark, and the temptation of Jesus, are quite abrieviated leaving out important details. Over all I would say the the lituracy of this book is, as Charlotte Mason would say, twaddle. The pictures are impressionistic and very colorful. This is not a book that I will purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment