Saturday, January 31, 2009

100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum by Cathy Duffy

As I was researching different methods of homeschooling, I came across this book by Cathy Duffy. The purpose of this book is to help parents discover what methods of teaching (ie: classical, Charlotte Mason, tradition, unschooling, etc.) best suite them, and what curriculum choices best suite their style of teaching and their children's style of learning. It has saved me a lot of time, by narrowing my choices down so I don't have to spend time researching methods that I don't agree with. I highly recommend it to any new-to-homeschooling parent, and I'm sure it would even benefit those who have been homeschooling for some time. This book also causes you to stop and really think through what you want for your children; so if you borrow the book from the library, or you don't want to write directly in the book itself, make sure that you have a notebook handy to write things down in. In the next few posts I will give my answers to the questions in chapter two that help to evaluate which method(s) are right for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment